Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Gray Zone

I haven't perfected this as a concept yet, but I wanted to blog about it anyway. There is a certain danger about being stuck in a "gray zone." While neutrality is safe and comfortable, it really isn't a positive thing. I tend to view life as an uphill battle, so if you're not moving forward, instead of staying in the same spot, in actuality, you're slowly drifting backwards. I'm quickly learning that the source of many problems in life is the gray zone.

What is the gray zone? It's the middle ground between what you want and don't want (basically the habitat of whatever you're settling for). It's the midpoint between your best and your worst (far enough past your worst to prevent guilt, close enough to your best to feel satisfied). The gray zone is that place in your relationship where you set up camp far away enough from the black (where you're cold and lonely), and close enough to the white (where everything is warm and perfect). It's the place in your career where you are a little bored with your current job, but too comfortable to dive into your ambitions and become your own boss. It can even be present in your friendships (talking bad about a friend behind his or her back versus not doing it at all). The list goes on for days, but at what point do we swim out of the gray?

Hate is a strong word, but it doesn't begin to express my feelings for this gray zone. I think people (including myself) use the gray zone as shield. It's a security blanket because everyone knows they are safe here, and they have the freedom to run out in either direction. Go 100% of the way, or 0% of the way, because anywhere else in the middle is a waste of everyone's time. Love me or hate me, but don't mix the two. Be loyal or be a flake, but don't be a face-saver. Why wake up and go to work everyday and not give it your all? Why go to class and not give the instructor your undivided attention? Why go to your church/temple/mosque/synagogue if you aren't going to leave as a better person or believe in divine power with unwavering faith?

Success has a keen sense of smell, and mediocrity is...well, malodorous. With this being said, get out of the gray zone by pushing yourself past your usual limits. When you convince yourself to settle for anything, you always end up getting less than what you deserve. I say this because when you settle, you not only lower your standards for that particular goal, you lower your expectations for life in general. Think about it...

4 comments:

  1. I think I often find myself in that gray zone and not too long ago I opened my site to the white zone that's there for the taking. Guilty about not giving instructor my full attention.

    ReplyDelete