Sunday, September 13, 2009

run into the tide




I Carry Your Heart With Me
:

Here is the deepest secret nobody knows

(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud

and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows

higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)

and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart


i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

- E. E. Cummings

___________________
Untitled

My self. It is you that challenges me so.
I can't stand you and Freud said I'm obsessed with you.
I don't have to like you to love you, so I love you with all of me.
You mirror my brain and mimic my heart; just leave me alone.
Take away everything, but leave me with my love, I pray.

My love. In reality you are my strength.
You romanticize everything, and set me up to fail.
I believe in your power, but I don't believe in you. You are unreal.
It's ok. Pain is fuel -- vehicle me to heaven, but be sure to stop by Paris.
Drop me in front of the Eiffel Tower so that you can watch me smile.


My world. You are just another sweet love song;
You burn my ears and freeze my heart.
My heart is bleeding -- and though love is a must, I choose infatuation.
The freedom I choose is the same freedom that chains me up.
I try breaking away, but love is elastic.
Draw me near so that I can run far, far away.

- JTE

________________

I put my poem up next to one of my favorite poets, E. E. Cummings. Cummings studied English at one of the finest universities in our country, yet when he wrote, sometimes he used no punctuation at all, and still his work was universally understood. Me on the other hand, I take forever, checking for grammatical errors and punctuation, and for what? Lesson learned: you don't have to take life super seriously to be understood and respected. I'm not saying that you should goof off or be irresponsible, but sometimes, just remember to treat life as an art.

My latest venture is tackling more creative writing, and more specifically, I want to write about love. It has taken a lot of guts for me to post my attempt at an art form online, but it's a growing process. No more neurotic, obsessive-compulsive Jeremy. It's sort of like taking your shoes off, rolling up your jeans and running full speed into the tide, all the while having no regrets. Some of us haven't made it to the beach yet.

Life is meant to be romantic.
It has taken me nearly 22 years to learn that.
Take a queue from me.

2 comments:

  1. Jeremy! Very thoughtful post! I really understand what you are saying and I can tell that it turly comes from the heart.

    ReplyDelete