Sunday, January 17, 2010

Death, Thou Shalt Die!

I have been thinking about death a lot lately. Over the course of my lifetime, death has seemed to follow me and for some reason, it has yet to scare me. Some people are terrified of death, but I feel like this: if you live your life to its fullest potential, then death should not be something you worry about. We all have a time to die and I honestly believe it happens when it's time to happen. No questions asked.

One of my absolute favorite poems is by John Donne, and although it doesn't have an official title, many people nickname it "Death." Here is an excerpt of the poem that I find most interesting:

"DEATH, be not proud, though some have call├Ęd thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so:
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow
Die not, poor Death; nor yet canst thou kill me."
 
 I think many people fear death so much, that it causes them to live their life in fear. People "play it safe" and do everything they can to prevent it (like being superstitious, for example).  John Donne's poem, towards the end says, "One short sleep past, we wake eternally, And Death shall be no more: Death, thou shalt die!" In a sense, death is just the beginning, not the end. You may be questioning the point of all of this...

If you died today, could you rest eternally knowing that you lived life with no regrets? With this being said, it is not expected for you to achieve every single one of your life goals, but it is rather viewed as "Did I try as hard as I could to make the most of my life?" Have you told everyone you love just how much you love them? Have you made up with your foes? Have you shown appreciation towards your friends? Have you taken time for YOURSELF instead of dedicating your life towards the benefit of others, while yet still keeping others in mind and in heart? Think about it...

Live life to the fullest, because death, too, shall die.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment